Kim Jong-un says North Korea facing ‘great disaster’ after Covid outbreak


A major outbreak could be devastating for North Korea which has poor healthcare and a largely unvaccinated population (Picture: AP)

Coronavirus is spreading rapidly through North Korea, with the country’s leader Kim Jong-un conceding the outbreak is a ‘great disaster’.

The leader has been called for ‘maximum emergency controls’ to slow the spread of the virus and has been seen wearing a face mask in public for the first time.

Officials reported North Korea’s first confirmed case of Covid-19 on Thursday, since then the nation has reported 21 deaths and says 174,440 people are displaying symptoms of a fever.

The country previously claimed to have prevented coronavirus, which has traveled to almost every part of the world, from crossing its borders.

However, experts believe the virus has been circulating among the country’s population for some time.

A major outbreak could be devastating for the secretive nation, which has poor healthcare and a largely unvaccinated population.

On Saturday, state media reported that there had been half a million cases of unexplained fever since late April and 27 deaths.

The figures mark a large increase in the numbers given on both Friday and Thursday, providing an indication of the scale of North Korea’s outbreak.

On Saturday, state media reported that there had been half a million cases of unexplained fever in North Korea since late April (Picture: AP)
North Korea announced what it claims to be its first coronavirus infection on Thursday (Picture: AP)

After confirming its first case, North Korea imposed what it described as maximum preventive measures.

‘The spread of the malignant epidemic is [the greatest] turmoil to fall on our country since the founding, ‘the official KCNA news agency quoted Mr Kim as saying.

During a ruling party Politburo meeting on Saturday, Mr Kim called for unity between the government and the people to stabilize the outbreak as quickly as possible.

Officials reportedly used the meeting to discuss ways to distribute medical supplies the country has released from its emergency reserves.

In a report presented to the Politburo, the emergency epidemic office blamed most of the deaths on ‘mistakes like overmuch taking of drugs, bereft of scientific medical treatment’.

Mr Kim has been seen wearing a face mask since North Korea announced its first official covid case on Thursday (Picture: AP)

Mr Kim, who said he was donating some of his private medicine supplies to help the anti-virus campaign, expressed optimism that the country could bring the outbreak under control.

He added that most transmissions are occurring within communities that are isolated from one another and not spreading from region to region.

He called for officials to take lessons from the successful pandemic responses of other nations and picked an example in China, one of North Korea’s major allies.

The nation previously rejected offers from the international community to supply millions of AstraZeneca and Chinese-made jabs last year.

Instead, it claimed it had controlled Covid by sealing its borders early in January 2020.

South Korea has said it offered humanitarian aid after Thursday’s announcement, but Pyongyang is yet to respond.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

window.fbApi = (function () {
var fbApiInit = false;
var awaitingReady = [];

var notifyQ = function () {
var i = 0,
l = awaitingReady.length;
for (i = 0; i < l; i++) {
awaitingReady[i]();
}
};

var ready = function (cb) {
if (fbApiInit) {
cb();
} else {
awaitingReady.push(cb);
}
};

var checkLoaded = function () {
return fbApiInit;
};

window.fbAsyncInit = function () {
FB.init({
appId: '176908729004638',
xfbml: true,
version: 'v2.10'
});

fbApiInit = true;
notifyQ();
};

return {
'ready' : ready,
'loaded' : checkLoaded
};

})();

(function () {
function injectFBSDK() {
if ( window.fbApi && window.fbApi.loaded() ) return;

var d = document,
s="script",
id = 'facebook-jssdk';
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if (d.getElementById(id)) {
return;
}
js = d.createElement(s);
js.id = id;
js.async = true;
js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js";
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}

if (window.metro) {
window.addEventListener('scroll', injectFBSDK, {once: true, passive: true});
} else {
window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', injectFBSDK, {once: true});
}
})();


Original Article reposted fromSource link

Disclaimer: The website autopost contents from credible news sources and we are not the original creators. If we Have added some content that belongs to you or your organization by mistake, We are sorry for that. We apologize for that and assure you that this won’t be repeated in future. If you are the rightful owner of the content used in our Website, please mail us with your Name, Organization Name, Contact Details, Copyright infringing URL and Copyright Proof (URL or Legal Document) aT spacksdigital @ gmail.com

I assure you that, I will remove the infringing content Within 48 Hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World News

Подоляк: в Донбассе должны забыть слово "русские"

Soviets Gloves Offices prefecture Ukraine Владимира Зеленского Михаил Подоляк rickshaw search results “Russian” in Donbasse and карьковской области. At the end of the day, I was very quick to say, “I will do my best”. “З за то, чтобы в Харьковской области вообще забыли слово” усусские “. As a result of search engine optimization, the […]

Read More
World News

Nitschke to take an 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' approach, in new era for Australian women's cricket team

It was announced this week that Matthew Mott would leave his long-standing role with the national women’s side to take charge of England’s men’s white-ball prospects. The news meant assistant Shelley Nitschke will take over for the interim, as the world’s number one side prepares to head to the UK for a T20 International tri-series […]

Read More
World News

Labor promises urgent care clinic for Canberra's southside

The clinic would provide care for non-life-threatening injuries seven days a week, from at least 8am to 10pm. Original Article reposted fromSource link Disclaimer: The website autopost contents from credible news sources and we are not the original creators. If we Have added some content that belongs to you or your organization by mistake, We […]

Read More